Sunday, January 24, 2010

Emotions

Today I write in the wake of the most powerful experience of my life. In the past few days, I have never seen such an outpour of emotions. Grown men and women have broken down before my eyes, crying uncontrollably with the fear that loved ones or beloved officials may have died. These are the same people who have survived viscously oppressive dictators, coups, and a national army who’s enemy is not a foreign power, but many times its own citizens. Men who are much wiser and who have experienced so much more than I, were sobbing in my arms as I could only sit there and be present as the radio stations cried on.

I will try and do justice to one of the scenes that I witness the night of the earthquake. A group of us were sitting around the radio, listening and hoping for news that friends and family members were ok. A report came in that the legislative building collapsed on a party with some of the senators in attendance. One of the senators was like a father to many of the people in the house and one of the men, whom had been extremely nice and upbeat the entire time I was there, began to sob uncontrollably. As he sat in his chair shriveling into a ball in pain, weeping, all we could do is sit next to him and do and be present. I cannot describe the pain that emanated from him that rippled into my heart. This was not a cry that I had ever witness. It was not the typical crying I had seen in America of people who had just broken up, or of people who had just got a bad grade on a test. This was an uncontrollable, totally exposed breakdown. (I do not mean to quantify suffering, but I just want to portray what I saw in some context everyone can understand)

I cannot wholly explain the sorrow people felt, for I cannot fully comprehend it to be honest. I have such a strong love for these people and it is very hard to see them suffer in such a way. These once always cheerful people have been literally brought to their knees in pain.

So much has happened that I really don’t know how to continue, but I will end it like this. Although the international community has chosen to marginalize this country and people have gone about their days allowing this to continue, I pray that motivation does not dwindle for this beautiful country. Instead, I hope that rather than letting the country descend into absolute poverty again, something evil can be made good, and all people including Haitians, can live without fear of dying from things that are easily accessible. Thank you for reading and please pray for the people suffering in Haiti.

1 comment:

  1. 26-Mar-2010

    Jack,

    I spoke with your Dad this morning and he tells me that your returned to Haiti during the spring break. I'd love to hear an update from you about how the island is coping with the affects of the spring rains and on-going hunger. Most importantly, can you tell us how and what we can do to support these people?

    Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying your time in school.

    Cheers to you and to your deeds,

    Love- Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete