Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reality

The other day Wistnell, Dante and I traveled to Milot and Limonade to gather some compost for my research. As we drove in the back of a tap tap (a truck converted into a bus) we passed many things that are common in Haiti. For example, as we came to the main round-about in town a street kid appeared holding an old rag desperately trying to wash a car for whatever loose change the driver had. Another man was limping and had a severe gash in his leg with nothing but a dirty rag to cover it. As I see these things, I still have a hard time comprehending them. I feel as if my mind is a hand full of water, trying hard to retain the water, only to have it squirm between my fingers and be left with a faction of the memory. Such things are not a new occurrence in this country and have been going on for decades only to be ignored by the world and even worse, largely caused by it. I cannot believe God wants these people to live like this while people seek a comfortable life in the US. Many people have told me that God wants us to enjoy the blessings that he has bestowed upon us, yet does that mean that because God has given us 100 dollars we can go and have a fancy dinner while a child starves to death. Just because a child is not starving on your corner, does not mean there is not one starving in the world. In fact, I am surrounded by many of them as I write this now. People may not see the direct connection of money with helping, so maybe I'm the crazy one, but I would like to make clear that I speak of love, not condemnation. Everyone has such a beautiful opportunity to help, and I pray that people trade in their money for the true wealth of love and relationship.

I will finish with a story of when I was driving the other day and saw a dead women laying in the road. As we passed I demanded that we stop to at least move her off the road and say a prayer, yet the people I was with said “not now.” When I was finally able to convey the depth of my concern, they all agree that we could stop when we returned on the way back. I remember just sitting in the back of the car astounded. She was just lying there, dead in the middle of the road. I told them it was not her time to die, but they said nothing in response. I began to fell such a deep sorrow that I cannot explain and do not wish to divulge into. This is frankly not the reality that God has in mind, and to much that is given, much is expected. Let us go forward and together love recklessly.

1 comment:

  1. Hey John, thanks for all you're doing for Haiti. This is a moving report. I was actually looking through the site of SOIL after seeing the NY Times story on them and was surprised to see you mentioned on their site.

    I work at The Fuller Center for Housing (www.fullercenter.org) and am looking into sanitation partnerships for our work for Haiti. Think SOIL might be interested, or do you care to make the connect? Incidentally, I'm a Notre Dame alum myself and we're partnering with the ND Haiti program in our efforts.

    Thanks for any help.

    Ryan Iafigliola

    The Fuller Center for Housing
    Director of International Field Operations
    ryani@fullercenter.org

    ReplyDelete