Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Veil of Society

So I sit on the roof of our house, looking over the Haitian horizon with so much on my mind, but somehow it all seems to evaporate into the swirling sunset clouds above me. I feel as if God has been painting this scene all day, for it is beautiful beyond words.

Everyday I spend here I feel like my view of reality is being blow apart. For example, on Sunday we went to church and it was beautiful as both Haitians and foreigners joined hands and worshiped Jesus. After the service our group traveled to a local fast food restaurant. I had been talking to my Haitian friends in the group and when we entered the food area, we stopped near the door to continue our conversation. After the political debate we were having ended, I asked if they wanted to go sit with everyone in our group (who were, by the way, entirely white). My Haitian friends said they did not want to since they were not invited. I told them they did not need an invitation and they were welcome to join them, yet they still refused. Thus, I extended an invitation for them to sit at the table, but again they denied my invitation, explaining that it would be too awkward. The real reason that they did not eat with the group is that there exists in Haiti a class structure which all Haitians understand. Darker skin is often undesirable among the population and whiter skin is often a sign of wealth. I still go to bed sometimes in disbelief that such blatant racism exists; yet I have vowed to try and break down the system with my friends, even if I cannot change the country. Therefore, I replied that I’d rather stay with them. We then went to the upper part of the restaurant and had a great time, laughing until my muscles hurt when I smiled.

Another story I must tell is one of generosity, kindness, and love. A tinny boy named Davidson, who is only 10 years old and has the sweetest voice (it sounds like he has to fight for every breath), is getting 1000 goud for doing chores around the house. He explained that he was going to give 100 of it to his sister and 900 to his parents so they can care for his other siblings. He told me that he felt so terrible about spending the last 100 goud all on himself that he wanted to help others out so they could partake in his joy. I hope to have as good as heart as his one day, pure and selfless.

There are many things I wish I could portray this past week. I have seen both good and evil, and at times a beauty that no words of mine could ever do justice. What I can say is that these people shine with a warmth which penetrates to the bone. I pray that Haitians let their beauty shine throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment