Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thank You Haitians

I feel as if I have not expressed my thankfulness to the Haitians whom have blessed my life with enough joy to last me a lifetime. This blog is a thank you to every Haitian whom has touched my life and graced me with a love I wish could experience every day of my life. I hope that my words will somehow fill you with the joy that I experience.

The other day I was walking to grab a quick breakfast before going to teach when I noticed one of my students named Jessica on the corner sobbing. I went up to her and asked her what was wrong and she replied that she had been told to leave school because she did not have the proper color shoes. After questioning her further I discovered that her family could barely afford food let alone a new pair of shoes. I took her to the school and asked the principal if he could let her go to school for the day, granted that I would take her that afternoon to buy her new shoes. Yet he could not oblige my request since he had told her the day prior that she would not be allowed in if she did not have proper shoes like the all the other students. Therefore, Jessica and I ran around until we finally found a pair of black shoes. When she tried on a pair that fit, her face lit up like it was Christmas morning. She thanked me and tore off towards the school with a smile that everyone could see. The rest of the day was bliss as I remembered her face as she ran off to school.

Yet the blessing did not end there. This Thursday I helped out at the clinic and I saw a women there keep looking at me with such a warm and personal smile that I could not help but feel as if she was my own mother welcoming home her beloved son. She had two very sick children and after she saw the doctor she waited in the courtyard until the clinic finished. Then I saw Jessica walk up to the door and asked me to come with her. We walked over to the women holding her sick child and I remember vividly what she was wearing: a beautiful orange headscarf, blue dress, and a smile that relaxed every muscle in my body. As I walked up to her she explained that she was Jessica’s mother and I told her what a good student Jessica was in class. She thanked me and told me that she had to get back to her house. Yet before she turned to leave she stood on her tip toes and whispered in my ear so quietly that only I could hear, “Mesi pou soulye a” (thank you for the shoes). I was so overtaken with joy and we both smiled at each other so warmly, we could quite possibly be adding to global warming issue. I pray God allows us to meet again soon.

Stories like these are what I will remember about Haiti forever. One day I was walking home from work and suddenly two street boys came along side me smiling and asking me question after question. I then pointed up to the clouds which were a magnificent red from the setting Caribbean sun saying “Se bel, wi?” (It’s beautiful, yes?). They both looked up and for a moment did not utter a word, but just started into the awesome scene. Look up at the sunset tonight and share in our joy, share in our humanity, share in a love for one another that runs deeper than the surface of our skin, but rather to the depths of our hearts. May you find solidarity with us there.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog, saw your last post and was so touched. What an amazing story. Your words encouraged me in my prayers for Haiti, and for those worldwide in similar circumstances. It seems your time there has been significant. I'm excited to see how the Lord will continue to use you. Hope you're doing well!
    -Lindsey Holcombe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack,

    Your latest post was incredible! Just a couple of days ago we had an International Chapel service displaying many international flags. Though we did not have the Haitian flag displayed, I couldn't help to think of you. I am very proud to be your cousin because you are truly living like Christ to Haitian nation. I hope that one day and I can come with you to see what you see.

    Take care,

    PJ

    ReplyDelete